1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
3 cups gluten free bread flour, such as brown rice flour or a gf bread flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
optional: 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
optional: 1 tbsp sesame seeds
optional: sprinkling of brown sugar.
The next time you need a lovely tea bread why not bake one that is delicious and
good for you! Substituting unsweetened applesauce for refined sugar makes this
bread suitable for diabetics, vegans and those with gluten free diets. The
natural sweetness of the apples is all you need. And, the kids will love it!
Blueberries are a great source of Vitamins A,E and C, fiber, beta carotene,
anti-oxidants and magnesium. I added a Tbl. of ground flax seed which are packed
with Omega 3s, one of the richest sources of essential fatty acids. A sprinkle
of sesame seeds added to the crumb topping adds iron, calcium, and B vitamins,
important for vegetarian diets. And, its gluten and dairy free and has no eggs,
which makes it ok for vegans. Enjoy with a nice cup of tea.
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350f
- Mix together flour, flax, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a small bowl combine applesauce, oil, vanilla and spices.
- Add 1/2 of the blueberries into the wet mixture and combine with dry
- Fold in the rest of the blueberries.
- Pour batter into 2 greased bread pans and sprinkle with sesame seeds and brown
sugar, if desired.